The editorial office is not responsible for the content of the article and the personal views of the author.
The battery is one of those car parts that simply needs to be replaced every 4 to 6 years. You can do it yourself. However, you need to know few rules, thanks to which replacement will be safe both for exchanger and battery.
Replacement of battery in older models of cars was relatively easy task. Unfortunately, development of technology and emergence of cars with a lot of electronics strongly complicated this process.
Battery replacement – tools and location
Fortunately, in many cases, battery replacement is quite simple. You do not even need to have very professional tools for this. All you need is a 10 mm open-ended wrench and a “thirteen” socket wrench (13 mm), equipped with appropriate extension.
With this extension we will be able to get to the battery mounting screw. Most often it is located in the engine compartment, but it can also be in the trunk or under the seat.
Battery replacement – point by point instructions
If you want to replace the battery yourself, follow these points. If you are afraid of damaging the equipment or do not feel up to it, trust the professionals. The mechanics from the Battery Point network will be more than happy to assist you in this activity.
- Disconnect the negative cable to prevent accidental shorting
- Turn off all power consumers in the vehicle and unscrew the clamps
- Disconnect the positive cable. Loosen the mounting screws battery.
- Carefully remove the battery (remember that every battery, except AGE batteries, must be held straight to avoid spilling corrosive electrolyte)
- Clean rust from the battery shelf and apply rust preventative
- If your car is equipped with multimedia systems and packed with electronics, it is worth installing a backup battery.
- Put a new battery in place
- Clean the clamps
- Enjoy your new battery
Battery replacement in new cars
Replacing a battery in the latest car models is not so easy. Because they often have a power management system, you need a professional here. So what if not much changes in the physical part of the replacement process, when without the right diagnostic tools, it is impossible to register the new car battery in the vehicle.
Improper battery replacement can lead to battery damage. Installing a mismatched battery or installing it incorrectly leads to a number of damages. Car electronics are the most vulnerable.
Main Picture: Customer Material